Thursday, December 03, 2009

Reviews For Movies In Theaters Now



The Box

** Stars

The Box is an unnecessarily complex motion picture from director Richard Kelly. The premise is much too simple and exciting for the convoluted mind of the Donnie Darko helmer. It’s the story of a 1970’s suburban couple (played by the miscast of Cameron Diaz and James Marsden) who obtain a box from a strange and anonymous man (Frank Langella) who says that if they push the button on it, they’ll receive a payment of $1 million. The catch? Someone in the world they don’t know, will die. Too bad that The Box collapses into incoherency about half way through. I’ll always find Richard Kelly’s first film fascinating, and I’m not ready to give up on him, but with Southland Tales and The Box, Kelly has yet to prove he can tell a story that makes sense.



Michael Jackson’s This is It

***1/2 Stars

What a wonderful surprise of a movie this is. The final curtain call of Michael Jackson’s career is a celebratory one. This is It is a simple and exuberant celebration of the spirit of one of this country’s most talented musicians. Even at the age of 50, the man can still bring it. Creator Kenny Ortega gives the fans and the world a glimpse of the man everyone knows, in ways no one’s ever seen before.



A Christmas Carol

*** Stars

I shouldn’t doubt Robert Zemeckis as much as I do. When I first saw the trailer to A Christmas Carol, I was supremely disappointed. It looked cartoonish and way too silly. Also, I’m still not sold on this whole 3-D phenomenon that’s seems as popular as Twilight. However, when watching A Christmas Carol, I was completely one over by Zemeckis’s masterful use of visual effects. Featuring a perfectly cast Jim Carrey, the only real complaint I have about this movie other than its story that I’ve seen a thousand times is its release date. Note to Hollywood: Christmas is December 25th, not November 6th.



Ninja Assassin

**1/2 stars

Ninja Assassin is 99 minutes of ninja assassins assassinating other ninjas. Sorry for the spoilers.



The Road

*** Stars

Viggo Mortensen is such a gifted actor. His tone and delivery is mostly the same in every movie he is in, but his presence is so strong that your eye immediately focuses on him. He brilliantly stars in the adaptation of the extremely popular Cormac McCarthy novel, about a man and his son trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic society. It’s an exhausting experience, but it will stay with you long after you’ve left. The Road is a haunting of hellish proportions.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of National Clicks?

Can someone help me find it?

Overheard some co-workers talking about it all week but didn't have time to ask so I thought I would post it here to see if someone could help me out.

Seems to be getting alot of buzz right now.

Thanks