Thursday, June 18, 2009

Catching up with Netflix: Doubt

**1/2 Stars

Doubt predictability suffers from its own premise. Doubt is a play, not a movie. And if it wasn't for its outstanding cast, I would doubt the film would have been recognized at the stature it has received (notice how four out of the five film's Oscar nominations were acting ones). While they are all worthy nominations, I find it frustrating that Doubt doesn't come to life as it should. The movie is so obviously based off a play that you might have as well have John Patrick Shanley (the creator of the play) adapt the film too. At least you know what you're going to get.

Again, Doubt is all play and no movie. The performances from Meryl Streep, Amy Adams, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and especially Viola Davis are all exceptional, yet I wanted more than what I was expecting. Nothing really happens in this 104 minute long feature, we just get lots of showcase moments for the gifted cast in scenes that hardly connect to both the story and the viewer. Did I admire this movie? Sure. Will I ever see it again? Doubt it.

No comments: