Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Movie Still Breakdown #1: Home Alone 2 - Electrified in New York

So here's the deal: I needed something to spark up my website. I chose to create a Movie Still Breakdown, where I find the most ridiculous still images from movies and somehow analyze it into something significant. Won't you help me out by sending some of your favorites?

Movie Still Breakdown #1: Home Alone 2 - Electrified in New York

Remember seeing Home Alone when you were a kid? It wasn't as appalling then, but it's still as funny. Just not in the same ways...

When Home Alone came out in 1990, it grossed $285 million domestically, at the time the fifth highest grossing movie of all time. Of course that means it would spawn a sequel. Now of course in every sequel you have to take things to the next level. So director Chris Columbus and company decided to up the ante with the shenanigans that happened between the movie's hero Kevin McCallister (not the father) and the two clumsy criminals, played ridiculously by Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern. It still blows my mind that at the same time Joe Pesci was destroying the competition for a best supporting actor Oscar in Goodfellas, he was gracing our presence as a To Catch a Predator style thief. Don't these criminals realize that even if they got away with everything, they would still have to leave the country forever considering the countless murder and stealing charges? Not to mention the fact that the person they murdered was an 8-year old child. On Christmas Eve. In the kid's own home. By himself.

Those cold-hearted bastards.

But not to worry! The cold-hearted bastards in almost every movie usually get their comeuppance. Which leads us to this picture. Daniel Stern plays Marv, the dumber of dumb & dumber, which could explain why he ended up in this predicament. After getting covered in paint, Marv heads over to the sink to wash himself off. To bad Kevin rigged the sink handles with electricity, causing Marv to look like John Candy and Steve Martin from that scene in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles when they almost get hit by two oncoming eighteen wheelers.

I wondered what was going on in Marv's mind:

"Why is there hair growing out of my bones?"

"Wow, I can't believe this is happening again."

"I hope Harry doesn't find out I'm in love with him."

"No, seriously, why is there hair growing in my bones?!?"

"I really have to lay off the DMT."

"I hope this is good enough for my audition for The Nightmare Before Christmas."

"SERIOUSLY....HAIR....GROWING....IN....MY....BONES?!?!?!?"

"I scream like a girl."

These are classic films from our childhood. I just hope to God that when they remake this, they at least have the confidence to step it up even more.


-If you find any picture you think deserve a breakdown, send them to me at caseylamarca@gmail.com!

No comments: