Wednesday, July 21, 2010

M. Night Shyamalan: To Be Continued...


It’s been almost three weeks since The Last Airbender was released. My emotions have cooled.

When the film was released, I stated in an article (about the hatred critics have towards Shyamalan) that I was considering giving up film criticism forever. While I’m still pondering my future, I figured it would only be fair to have a follow up to that article because I did state a quote from Roger Ebert, “Your intellect may be confused, but your emotions will never lie to you,” as a way to express my anger towards the universal pan of The Last Airbender, even though I still found the film to be a disappointment.


I realized after I published that article that my emotions had rattled my intellect quite a bit. But I still stand by remarks for a few definitive reasons.


In my original article, I stated that the 3D was a major reason why the film was a failure. This is still true. I went to see it again in 2D and it was a much better visual experience. However, I did take the time to analyze what I had heard from others and why many felt that Shyamalan failed as a writer.


I’ll admit: Shyamalan ultimately failed. I probably noticed it more than most because I am still such a huge fan of his. The man used to be considered one of the stronger storytellers in the business, but like many filmmakers, he has become lost in his own world. This happens to many who helm such a big project.


For example, when Darren Aronofsky’s The Fountain fell apart after budget concerns, he disappeared to China for weeks. He later resurfaced, and in my mind fully succeeded. Shyamalan on the other hand seemed unable to balance his parts in so many aspects of the film (writing, producing, directing, and even marketing) that he forgot to tell the story he was supposed to tell.


As a director, Shyamalan was still able to bring his visual wizardry to the screen. And while I can understand that the first hour of the film can be hard to get through, I still enjoyed the third act. Combining James Newton Howard’s intriguing score (and Shyamalan owes a lot to this man for creating some of the best soundtracks of the past decade) and Industrial Light and Magic’s fantastic visual effects gave the film an acceptable finish.


In this day and age, moviegoers are lucky to see even a handful of memorable films. Especially in 2010, which is one of the worst years for movies ever. The Last Airbender may be a disappointment, but I think the reason why I gave it somewhat of a passing grade was because it was trying to be something different.


I think it’s wrong for critics to pan a filmmaker in such degrading ways because it becomes more about rants for journalism sakes rather than how someone individually feels. While there is certainly nothing wrong about trashing a film, it’s how you trash it that makes all the difference.


In Michael Bay’s case, you’re supposed to trash his films. He expects you too. So do it in a way that adds to that notion. In Shyamalan’s case, it’s as though people are on a mission to see him fail. I can’t even tell people I’m a Shyamalan fan half the time because I’m looked down upon before I even open my mouth. Yet it seems people have forgotten about Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, which (for me, anyways) is close to the worst movie of all time.


So you can calm down about your hatred towards this movie, because a sequel is probably not going to happen. While it’s grossed an acceptable $100+, you were able to piss and moan enough that Paramount has probably gotten the message. Feel better now?


Maybe after writing this second article, my emotions are back. You'll find out for sure in article number three.

No comments: