Friday, July 20, 2007

Hairspray

New Line Cinema's Hairspray

**1/2 Stars

Before reading my review, you should know that I usually don't enjoy musicals (adapted from a play) on the big screen because they belong on the stage (Alright, there has been a few exceptions with Sweeney Todd, Fiddler on the Roof, and a couple other miscellaneous ones). When seeing a musical, the excitement comes from seeing it live so your imagination can bring out the story. The reason why the others have worked is because they have a better story and theme that are better suited for film. Sweeney Todd was a revenge film with a movie star (Johnny Depp) and Fiddler on the Roof was a historical drama involving themes of a religion and an era. With the film version Hairspray, it has way to much energy for being stuck behind a movie screen. I enjoyed it to a point, and that point sadly had me wishing I saw it on Broadway first.

Now if you're just obsessed with musicals, then this is your summer cure. It will have you tapping your feet begging for more. But like I said, if you are not into musicals, this is your kryptonite. So where do I stand? Well, about right in the middle. I think Broadway is a wonderful experience that should be seen by all and Hairspray has been a huge success on Broadway. But as a film, it's hard for me to sit in a theater watching the stage-energy that should be left to the stage itself.

At least the the film has a great cast, including Christopher Walken, Queen Latifah, Amanda Bynes, Michelle Phieffer, newcomer Nikki Blonsky, and John Travolta as Blonsky's fat mother (this is worth the price of admission just to see this wonderfully weird portrayal). It takes place in 1962 surrounding teenager Tracy Turnblad (Blonsky) and her family (Walken and Travolta play the parents). Tracy and her friend Penny Pingleton (the beautiful Amanda Bynes) are obsessed with the Corny Collins show. So when the show offers a chance for any young gal to dance on the show, Tracy wants in. Now Tracy may be an overweight girl, but she has the moves that will have you smiling all the way through. Her heart throb Link Larkin (High School musical sensation Zac Efron) is quickly attracted to her skills and the two become quite close. Now in a musical, the rule is that there is always a villain. Velma von Tussle (Phieffer) the shows manager hates the fact the Tracy was picked to dance on the show (Tussle's daughter Amber has been the star forever) and will stop at nothing to get her off it, even if that means ruining the sanctity of Tracy's parents marriage.

Maybe I'm being a scrooge with this review, but I think my only regret was I didn't get to experience the play first. If that had occurred, this could have been a wonderful reminder of that experience. Instead, I have to settle for a reminder of something I never had.

No comments: