Saturday, December 15, 2007

I Am Legend

**1/2 Stars

If God had to choose one person to be immune to a virus that eliminates life on earth, I'm sure God would pick Will Smith. Smith has the power to demand I Am Legend's authenticity towards its subject, but even he can't save an ending that is one of the worst an audience member could ask for after such a promising start.

Smith plays Robert Neville, a brilliant scientist who claims to be the last man on earth after a deadly virus has wiped out civilization. Many have died and others have been transformed into mutants, which like in any other zombie flick, have the power of a superhero juiced up on steroids. Neville and his dog Sam spend the days hunting, gathering, and trying to find a cure to the disease while locking themselves in at night to avoid being a mutants dinner. Director Frank Lawrence (Constantine) has the patience to create a great build-up and to let Smith do what he does best, be the hero of heroes. But the film gets to a point when you look at the person next to you and say "This can either get really good or painfully bad." I'm sad to report that you will be in pain.

A cliched third-act not only ruins this film, it destroys it. I made a vow to never give away spoilers that give away something to my readers, but I will say that you will know exactly where this film is going the second you feel the film takes a turn for a worse. The entire audience in the theater I was in realized this moment roughly at the same time. After being teased for the first hour, I Am Legend is Constantine and War of the Worlds in a blender, mixed with the schlock that is unnecessary to the film and unfair to Mr. Smith.

No comments: