Saturday, January 21, 2006

Munich



**1/2 Stars

Steven Spielberg is one of my favorite film directors. Every single one of his movies is a treasure for me (alright A.I was just ok). But as I walked out of the theater after seeing Munich, it was the first time in my life Spielberg disappointed me.


This is the story of what happened after the massacre of 11 Israeli athletes at the 1972 Munich Olympics. It follows a fictitious secret Israeli team assigned to kill Palestinians suspected to have planned the Munich attack. The plot is thick. Spielberg doesn't give us the characters he has given us before. We really don't care for them as much as we should. The assassination squad included four men, headed by Avner (Eric Bana), track down and kill those who were behind the attack. These Israeli’s must look strong to the world in order to protect themselves. But all in all, it really comes down to revenge.

The acting is above par. Bana gives us the performance he can give (he is a Non-Jewish man playing a Jewish man). The supporting cast including Geoffrey Rush and Daniel Craig have their moments. Some scenes are very well done, especially the flashbacks of the actual hostage situation and an assassination on one of the terrorists is quite chilling when it suddenly goes abrupt. But still, after two hours and forty-five minutes, you wonder when Spielberg really wanted it to end. If I had to choose, I would say after minute 120. Many say "Munich" is a bold move for Spielberg. Well that may be, but I don't care. The movie just isn't that good.

No comments: